Sunday, January 24, 2016

Why Quitting was the Best Decision that I ever made

Four months ago, I made the decision that I was going to quit my job. It didn't matter if I had a new job lined up or if I would just be unemployed for a period of time. When I was graduating from college, I was unsure as to what exactly I wanted to do with my career. I had this ridiculous dream to be a flight attendant and I came close to pursuing it but at the time I was dating someone who I thought I would marry so I took the safe route and found a reasonable job that was close to him. This job fell into my lap from my former internship supervisor. When I went to my interview, I was calm, comfortable and it just seemed like the perfect fit. And for about a year, it was the perfect fit. I was making good money, working with people that I liked and doing a job that came easily to me. But it was far from "the dream." However, there was potential for growth within the company so I did my very best to stay positive.



As time went by I started to feel discouraged and that I wasn't living up to my potential. When my boyfriend and I broke up, I started to think that it was a time to stop being comfortable and that meant looking for a new job. At first this scared me to death because I was a afraid of change. But there came a point when I started to hate going to work; not because I didn't like the company or my co-workers but because I just wanted to find something that made me feel more fulfilled when I left everyday. Because of this, easy tasks seemed like the worst thing ever and I felt like nothing I did was good enough. As the months went on, things got harder and I started to feel very depressed and unhappy. 

I came home one day and told my parents that I was quitting. For the first time in my life, I was quitting something that I started and it was not a good feeling; I didn't want to be a quitter. I started searching for a new job and applied to what felt like a thousand via Linkedin. Even though I was feeling the most unhappy that I had ever been, I continued to go to work with a smile and work my butt off. I remained positive at work and continued to do what I had from the day I started-  help my coworkers do their jobs to the best of their ability. 

I had applied for one job, blindly. Meaning, I saw the job title and that it was in the Baltimore area and just sent my resume. As it turns out, their HR department emailed two days later, wanting to interview me. So I researched the company more and found that they were headquartered in Rockville, which on a good day is two hours from my house and I almost didn't even set up the interview because of this. As it turns out, the job they were hiring for was for one of their remote offices at THE AVENUE at White Marsh. Which is a lot more reasonable from where I live. 

After two of the best interviews I'd ever had, they offered me the job. I remember checking my email after the gym and I started crying when I saw they had made me the offer. Two days later, I put in my resignation. It was very hard for me because I would be leaving a job that was comfortable and where I had made good relationships with my co-workers. Well some things happened and I ended up leaving earlier than my two-week notice because that is what I felt was best for me and unfortunately I lost some relationships in that process. 




While I was hurt and upset about the reasons my two-week notice was shortened, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I had two weeks to do "whatever I wanted." I spent days playing with my 3 year old cousin. Shopping with my Mom. Getting my nails done. I dyed my hair for the first time ever. Went to the gym at 8am. Yes- this is me doing whatever I want. I went out for drinks on a Monday night with a wonderful guy who is now my boyfriend. He and I went to the movies in the middle of the day. I helped my sister move into her new house. Those two weeks opened my eyes to things that I never would have realized, if I had stayed at my old job.  

I started my new job on November 17th, the day before our annual Christmas tree lighting so it wasn't your average first day on the job but it was the most fun I'd ever had at work. After three months, I can truly say- I love my job. I am happier than I ever was at any other job I have had. Sure there are days that I would rather lay in bed and watch Netflix all day. My job gives me the ability to be creative, use my degree and education, and most importantly makes me smile. I work in an office with 6 other people and even though not every day is perfect, they have the ability to laugh at themselves and each other. There isn't any negativity and their is an equal respect for each other. 

When I quit my job, I quit a lot more. I quit letting my past effect my future. I quit trying to have control over things that I couldn't control. I quit living in the comfortable and began pushing my boundaries. I quit letting others effect how I perceive myself. I quit filling my time just to be busy and began filling my time with things that matter. I quit being unhappy and depressed. I quit forcing relationships that were fake and building ones that will last a lifetime. 



Quitting was the best decision I ever made to be perfectly imperfect. I am grateful for my first job and all that it taught me. I am grateful for the relationships that I made there and grateful for the ones that remain. But saying goodbye to that job, gave me the ability to say goodbye to the past and starting my new job let me start my happier and brighter future. A lot has changed in the past three months and I am happier than I have ever been. If you are unhappy in your job or your relationship, have the courage to make the change to be happier. No money or "love" is worth your unhappiness. Find your happiness and do what allows you to fulfill your passions. Heres to 2016 and the beautiful imperfect journey that is ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment